Saturday, April 5, 2014

Believing An Urban Legend Can Be Costly

Dear Tazi:

My life is like a bad cliché. My husband has entered full-fledged mid-life crisis mode, and has run off with his secretary. Our pre-nuptial agreement states that in the case of a divorce all assets shall be equally divided or sold and the proceeds equally divided. I am tempted to sell his Corvette (his mid-life crisis mobile) to my brother – for a dollar. I can only imagine the look on his face when I send him a cashier’s check for his half. My mother says I am being petty and that I could get into some serious trouble for doing something like this; my brother says that I shouldn’t listen to Mom, that she is just taking my soon-to-be ex-husband’s side. My attorney advises against it, too, but it just seems like it would be fun. I have read about this sort of thing on the Internet; but my Mother tells me those stories are just urban legend. What do you think I should do, Tazi?

Signed,
Tossed Off Like A [Feminine Hygiene Product]

Dear Tossed Off Like A [Feminine Hygiene Product]:

First, let me tell you that that correct lyric to Manfred Mann’s version of “Blinded By the Light” (written by Bruce Springsteen) is “revved up like a deuce”, not “tossed off like a...” I am told this is a sensitive issue for Mr. Springsteen, and would like to do my part to keep the myth from perpetrating.

Second, I can understand why you would want to sell your husband’s Mid-Life Crisis Mobile for a fraction of a percent of its worth; but doing so might leave you legally on the hook for the balance of the fair-market value. Depending on the laws where you live and the exact wording of your pre-nuptial agreement, your practical joke may end up costing you a bundle. Are you certain that vengeance will still be yours?

Your brother is the only one with something to gain in this whole financial exchange, so of course he is going to encourage you to go through with it. If you will not listen to the advice of your mother, please listen to your attorney – he is being paid to look out for your best interests, even if you refuse to do so yourself. Whether the stories on the Internet are urban legend or not, if true they most likely do not tell the rest of the story.

Snuggles,
Tazi

P.S. For your listening pleasure, here is Manfred Mann's Earth Band!




Ask Tazi! is ghostwritten by a human with a Bachelors of Arts in Communications. Tazi-Kat is not really a talking feline.

No comments:

Post a Comment