Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Teenager Needs Help In Seeing Her Own Inner Beauty

Dear Tazi:

I am the youngest of three sisters; two of them are genetically blessed with amazing looks and a fast metabolism.  Guess which one of us got cursed with a thyroid problem?  Obviously me, or I would not be writing to you about my problems.

My sisters are both on the high school dance squad and look amazing in their uniforms; I get to dress up like the mascot to hide my pudginess.  My sisters are both able to go out for ice cream after the football games or to late night breakfasts after night-time events; I have to watch every mouthful that I eat.  My sisters are tall and thin, I am short and chunky.  I could go on and on, but I am sure that you get the point by now – they are the Beauties and I am the Beast!

The worst part of my problem is that my sisters are so supportive of me.  They are constantly encouraging me to workout with them and telling me that it doesn’t matter what I look like on the outside, it is who I am on the inside that matters.  They always include me in everything they do and do their best to boost my self-esteem, but somehow I just feel worse, like I am accepting their charity. 

You have given good advice to lots of people, Tazi.  Do you have any good advice for me on how to feel more accepted and beautiful?

Signed,
Plain Jane

Dear Plain Jane:

My Mommie has a thyroid problem, and she hates it!  It affects everything from her weight to her mood – especially if her thyroid hormone levels are too high or too low.  Over the years, she has learned to live with it and even joke about it!  If she overindulges at the holidays she blames it on her thyroid and works a little harder to take off the extra pounds, while all her friends bemoan the fact that they ate too much!  

Now that Mommie is approaching middle-age, many of her friends are experiencing metabolic slowdown and must diet for the first time in their lives.  They don’t know what to do!  Mommie coaches them with diet and exercise tips.  What I am trying to say is, it DOES get better! 

Right now, you are a teenager and are going through all of the ups and downs that the teenage years can bring.  You have two wonderfully supportive sisters on your side who want you to enjoy life as much as they are!  
This is Mommie's favorite reminder to always love herself for who she is!
Once you allow yourself to enjoy life, you will find that you feel less down about yourself; once the world sees you for the fun and interesting person you are you will discover that what your sisters say is true – the person you are on the inside is what matters to the people who matter! 

Snuggles,
Tazi

P.S.  Exercising with friends is so much more fun than exercising alone.  Why not give it a try?


Ask Tazi! is ghostwritten by a human with a Bachelors of Arts in Communications. Tazi-Kat is not really a talking feline.

No comments:

Post a Comment