Thursday, March 13, 2014

Every Day Is A New Opportunity For Change

Dear Tazi:

I hate my life. I feel like all I do is work to pay the bills, just to survive, with nothing left over for fun. I am not very pretty, and I am not very bright, so I don’t have too many friends. I had a boyfriend once, but it didn’t last very long because being with me reminded him that I was the best he could get. That depressed him, so he left. I try to talk to people over the Internet, in chat rooms or in RPG’s [role paying games] but it turns out that I am not very interesting. I never know what to say so nobody wants to chat with me. I have thought about writing a blog, just so I can feel like someone out there is listening to me, but I am not a very good writer. In fact, it seems like the only thing I am good at is complaining how horrible my life and everything in it is.

 I am not depressed, Tazi. I got screened for that and the doctors told me my problem was low self-esteem and a lack of personal interests. They suggested counseling, which I tried but didn’t like. The person I saw told me I needed to try and change what I did not like about my life, and that just seemed too hard. My dream is to win the Powerball and change my life with plastic surgery – liposuction, breast implants, collagen, whatever it takes to make me beautiful and interesting. Do you think this dream is out of reach, Tazi?

Signed,
Boring Betty

Dear Boring Betty:

Your life doesn’t sound like a happy one, but your counselor was correct: only you have the power to change it. You pack a lot of information into one long paragraph, so I will try to address each of your concerns one at a time.

1. You say that you are not that pretty and are not that bright. I say that everyone is beautiful in their own way, and that inner beauty is what matters the most. Try to find yours, and let it shine through to light your world.




2. You feel like you never have enough money for fun. In this economy, a lot of people feel that way. If costs are overwhelming you, maybe you should consider living in a roommate or boarding house situation. This would cut your rent by at least half, leaving money left over for fun. Plus, you would not be all alone all of the time!

3. You mention that your boyfriend left you and you cannot make friends in chat rooms. Your boyfriend left for reasons that belong to him, not you. Don’t make his problems your own. Do not take credit for his worsening self-esteem issues! As for making friends in chat rooms, sometimes the best friends are the ones who sit back and listen to what others are saying. The more you listen – really listen, and not tune out – the easier it will be to think of a reply.

4. If you want to start a blog, start one! You say that you are only good at complaining about how horrible your life is. Write about that! Use your blog as on online outlet to vetch! It’s fun, it’s free, and people seem to enjoy this kind of stuff. Be the voice others want to hear! If nothing else, it might brighten your mood.

If you do not know how to write, a good way to learn is to take a course in online writing. You could apply for financial assistance to pay for it, so it will not cost you a dime and you will learn how to create a quality blog that people will want to read. This path will also get you out of the house and among other people with similar interests as you.

5. Winning the Powerball is not something you can plan on, so do not base your future on it happening. It will only depress you further.

6. Plastic surgery will only change what is on the outside. Until you learn to love yourself on the inside no amount of physical changes will bring you happiness. Create your own reality and happiness will follow.

Snuggles,
Tazi


Ask Tazi! is ghostwritten by a human with a Bachelors of Arts in Communications. Tazi-Kat is not really a talking feline.

1 comment: