Saturday, March 1, 2014

New Neighbor Is Revealing More Than Just His Charming Personality

Dear Tazi-Kat:

My new neighbor "Michael" is a delightful young man in every way possible but one. It is apparent that his mother never taught him the importance of drawing the bedroom curtains before changing clothes, because he fails to do so on a regular basis. My concern with this is that his bedroom window faces my children's bedroom window. My girls are rather young - 4 and 2 1/2 - so they do not yet understand that the view is an inappropriate one, and I try not to make a big deal out of things when I see them - I simply draw the window blinds.

I would like to say something to Michael about his lack of modesty, but I am afraid that such a conversation would be awkward and embarrassing, to say the least. I am divorced from my children's father; but he is still very protective of me and the girls so I cannot ask him to speak with Michael, either. An anonymous note seems so impersonal, plus I am pretty sure he would be able to figure out it came from me, since my house faces his bedroom window. Any advice on how to handle this situation would be very helpful, Tazi-Kat.

Signed,
Getting An Eyeful

Dear Getting An Eyeful:

Your situation is a sticky one, and requires a delicate but direct approach to solve. Since you are not comfortable speaking directly to your new neighbor, why not send a personal note? It need not be anonymous, just politely worded. For example, you could say something like this:

Dear Michael,

I hope you are settling into your new home, and enjoying your new neighborhood. I know we are happy to have you living next door, as you are perfectly delightful in so many ways! However I have, on occasion, noticed an issue that has left me with concern regarding my young daughters.

I am not certain if you have realized it, but your bedroom window faces my children's bedroom. My children, being naturally curious, love to look out the window and watch the world go by; and on occasion, they have noticed that you do not close your bedroom curtains. I realize that you may not have had time to shop for any yet; but the longer you go without them the greater the chance that my girls will catch you in a state of undress or other intimate moment. I am afraid this might lead to an awkward moment for both of us, so I thought I would be best to mention this sooner rather than later.

I thank you for your anticipated understanding, and look forward to seeing you in person (just not through the bedroom windows, if you catch my meaning!).


If your neighbor is as delightful as he seems, I am sure he will understand your position and at the very least cover the window with a sheet or towel until he can hang some proper curtains or blinds; and hopefully, you will have a few more years before you need to inform your daughters about the "facts of life".

-- Tazi-Kat

2 comments:

  1. I have another suggestion for the reader, as well. I know people always give out welcome to the neighborhood presents. If the reader has any money, maybe she could buy Michael some curtains as a "welcome to the neighborhood" present. I figure it was just a thought I had. That would settle her situation, plus it would be a great gesture to her new neighbor. That way both parties are satisfied and maybe they can become best of friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meow Meow thought of this idea Miss Maya, but realized that curtains and other decorative items can be of highly personal taste. Maybe a gift card to the Bed, Bath and Beyond Superstore?

    ReplyDelete