Saturday, September 7, 2013

You Are Never Too Old To Give Up On A Life's Ambition

Dear Tazi:

I am 77 years old, but I like to think of myself as a young 77. My husband of 60 years recently passed away after a long illness, and I find my days quite empty without him. My children and grandchildren are all grown, so I have no responsibilities to others to tie me down during the day, which is why I am thinking of doing something I have always dreamed of doing since I was a little girl: taking ballet lessons.

I grew up poor and married young, and the children soon followed – six of them, in all, and five that lived to adulthood. I saw every one of them through college, and helped to raise my grandchildren, as well, all of who are now professionals. I would like to chase my dream now that I have the time, but I am wondering if the time for that has passed. Am I being a foolish old woman or do you think I have the right to follow my dream?

Signed,
Nana Suzie

Dear Nana Suzie:

So long as you are in good enough physical shape to learn the movements of ballet, I cannot think of a single reason why you should not don some slippers and a tutu and pas de chat until your heart is contented! I suggest that you check with your local YMCA or community/senior center to look into beginner classes for adults. You may even be able to find classes designed specifically for senior citizens.

If you cannot find any available classes, ask if the studio would be willing to start offering classes for adult/senior beginners. It has been said that for every one person who asks a question there are ten others who are interested in the answer; that would make for eleven people who would be interested in a senior’s ballet class!

Don’t be afraid to follow your dreams, Nana Suzie! You have more than earned the right to do it!

Snuggles,
Tazi

Ask Tazi! is ghostwritten by a human with a Bachelors of Arts in Communications. Tazi-Kat is not really a talking feline.

No comments:

Post a Comment